VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+18
Juanito
Bishop
Jonny Boy
Seeley
Ye Olde Rog
Jnr DJ
scarlet pimpernel
Rrriot Guurl
mr.a
Son of Nod
T.B
Broadhead
bigdaddy
RvZ
wookie
Sherrers
Beatrix
Fandango Widewheels
22 posters

What are the English best at?

Jnr DJ
    Jnr DJ
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1080

What are the English best at? - Page 5 Empty Re: What are the English best at?

Post  Jnr DJ Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:37 pm

This is now. Today :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jk4vr/Panorama_Euro_2012_Stadiums_of_Hate/

20 years ago you could still die in a gutter for being the wrong colour. Worldwide. You still can but then it was common.

Someone like Daley said to every single racist in the world "fuck you". On the largest stage.

Very Happy
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

Post  Fandango Widewheels Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:40 pm

Jnr DJ wrote:This is now. Today :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jk4vr/Panorama_Euro_2012_Stadiums_of_Hate/

20 years ago you could still die in a gutter for being the wrong colour. Worldwide. You still can but then it was common.

Someone like Daley said to every single racist in the world "fuck you".

Very Happy

We watched that Panorama program on Friday night and was pretty shocked. Especially the Indian students who'd just gone to watch a local game. I used to go to football in the 80's but was way too young to understand what was going on. It's shocking to think stuff like that went on in my lifetime. I know it's still there today but I'd like to think it's an embarrassing minority.

Daley was a hero to all though as far as I can remember. Definitely one of the only olympians I can remember from around that time.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Post  Sherrers Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:50 pm

At the time the UK race riots were just happening. Black men in particular were getting extra demonised every day. In those days the mainstream press were as racist as the then current tv programmes like 'mind your language' . It was 'acceptable' to have a degree of racism.

So Daley wasn't just a 'poster boy' he was a serious role model. Going against a lot more than great German athletes. Not just as an ambassador for humanity (which sounds pompous but the best athletes are our best examples physically) as an all round nice bloke and clean cut chap he flew against all the stereotypes being flung in everyone's faces of Black Men as rioters, muggers or idiots in TV comedies/news/you name it.

He wasn't just a winner he was THE winner. The world's best all round athlete. Just a lad from Laaandon.

It was really important. It really fucked with the heads of the National Front loons who were barkingly patriotic but openly racist. It was a different time for sport too. When England still was in the running and could be expected to win something rather than expected to lose everything like now. But Daley won everything all the time. He was at the front of that period with Seb Coe etc Very Happy
    T.B
    T.B

Number of posts : 3939

Post  T.B Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Tell it white boy Laughing
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1633

Post  Ye Olde Rog Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:06 am

I hate to say it but he's right. England was descending into a racist hellhole in '79-'80 onwards. And that is something if I notice it.

Daley Thompson was England's Ali. He was bigger than an athlete. He was also a bit blase' about patriotism which endeared him to many. I remember he whistled the anthem and everyone was up in arms. I like him.
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1633

Post  Ye Olde Rog Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:16 am

Sherrers wrote:The greatest all-round athlete in the world ;

I'll raise you

Jnr DJ
    Jnr DJ
    vvwi

Post  Jnr DJ Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:18 am

T.B wrote:Tell it white boy Laughing

are you one of those old skool sistaz who doesn't think the white devil can have a say? Laughing Laughing
    Jnr DJ
    Jnr DJ
    vvwi

Post  Jnr DJ Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:19 am

Can I just say I am really down with all the love there is on here for Daley cheers cheers
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:20 am

Jnr DJ wrote:
    T.B wrote:Tell it white boy Laughing

are you one of those old skool sistaz who doesn't think the white devil can have a say? Laughing Laughing

haha Laughing .

No.

Just Sheridan.

Very Happy
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4046

Post  Son of Nod Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:23 am

Jnr DJ wrote:Can I just say I am really down with all the love there is on here for Daley cheers cheers

He was my hero too. Bumped into him around 6 or 7 years ago and was stunned into silence...it was like a WOW moment. Very Happy
    scarlet pimpernel
    scarlet pimpernel
    vvw

Number of posts : 649

Post  scarlet pimpernel Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:27 am

mine to

i am well jel of nod
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:32 am

Let's hope we have something to cheer about this summer and a whole new generation find their 'Daley'. It's been a bloody long time coming.
    Broadhead
    Broadhead
    vvwi

Number of posts : 3637

Post  Broadhead Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:40 am

Tom Daley? Ok, maybe not.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:43 am

Broadhead wrote:Tom Daley? Ok, maybe not.

He's a little runt. Deffo not hero material.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:52 am

Just get disappointed right now. Forget it.
    Broadhead
    Broadhead
    vvwi

Post  Broadhead Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:54 am

Fandango Widewheels wrote:

He's very good at what he does, but he won't win gold. Loads of pressure on Hoy, Ennis, Daley and a few others. Lets hope someone steps up to the plate.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:55 am

Two hours of postivity and love then normal service is resumed Wink
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:56 am

Broadhead wrote:

He's very good at what he does, but he won't win gold. Loads of pressure on Hoy, Ennis, Daley and a few others. Lets hope someone steps up to the plate.

I forgot you were a 'diver'. You could be our forum diving expert *snigger*
    Broadhead
    Broadhead
    vvwi

Post  Broadhead Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:57 am

Broadhead wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yorkshire and North Eastern champion and 5th best in the country at one point i will have you know. That's right, FIFTH BEST!!!
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:59 am

Broadhead wrote:
    Broadhead wrote:

Yorkshire and North Eastern champion and 5th best in the country at one point i will have you know. That's right, FIFTH BEST!!!

Seeing as Wookie is not around, I'll cut you back down to size.

'Was that 5th best out of 5?'
    Broadhead
    Broadhead
    vvwi

Post  Broadhead Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:00 am

Broadhead wrote:
    Broadhead wrote:

Seeing as Wookie is not around, I'll cut you back down to size.

'Was that 5th best out of 5?'

Pffft, out of everyone in the country more like. That did diving. About 50 i reckon!
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:05 am

any pics?
    Broadhead
    Broadhead
    vvwi

Post  Broadhead Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:10 am

Sherrers wrote:any pics?

I don't, though i was usually a bit busy to be holding a camera and taking pictures of boys in trunks down the swimming baths was frowned upon even then Laughing
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:24 am

You're trying to tell us your parents haven't got pics of you in your diving days?

Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
    Broadhead
    Broadhead
    vvwi

Post  Broadhead Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:34 am

Fandango Widewheels wrote:You're trying to tell us your parents haven't got pics of you in your diving days?

Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect

I'm sure they do somewhere. I'll ask me fatha later.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:55 am

IF I can smuggle a camera into a pool as a fat hairy man in his 40s for the forum you can find us a pic from your dad Very Happy
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:40 pm

get your pics aht!
    tanit
    tanit
    w

Number of posts : 175

Post  tanit Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:51 pm

Broadhead wrote:
    Sherrers wrote:any pics?

I don't, though i was usually a bit busy to be holding a camera and taking pictures of boys in trunks down the swimming baths was frowned upon even then Laughing

bloody conservatives Very Happy
    Jnr DJ
    Jnr DJ
    vvwi

Post  Jnr DJ Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Am I the only one who is into the LYMPICZ Question
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 pm

The CMD is proper excited. I wouldn't say I was excited but I do like the fact that it's in England, and I hope it manages to lift the blanket of gloom we're under for three weeks.

In Olympics related news I got my picture taken with one of the Olympic torches and a torchbearer last week Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 10:08 am