VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+24
mundyke
Beatrix
elrusto
Studio
Welsh
crang
Rrriot Guurl
Son of Nod
scarlet pimpernel
Bishop
Juanito
Jnr DJ
Jonny Boy
Ye Olde Rog
shAdy
PW
bigdaddy
Ben
jim_kezzle
T.B
RvZ
Fandango Widewheels
Sherrers
wookie
28 posters

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 20 Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Fandango Widewheels Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:53 pm

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 20 Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:05 am

This is like what they did on the Abyss if I remember correctly. Although that was a fluid that they breathed in.

http://gizmodo.com/5921868/scientists-invent-particles-that-will-let-you-live-without-breathing
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:29 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-set-to-announce-existence-of-god-particle-7904082.html

These scientists want to get off the bloody fence. I don't deal in 'almost certain' I deal in 'yes, we've found it' or 'no we haven't. At the moment it looks like 'no we haven't' to me.
    mundyke
    mundyke
    very valued guest

Number of posts : 30

Post  mundyke Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:15 pm

It looks like they have Fandango, but they're just scared to annoy the god botherers

Higgs boson: scientists 99.999% sure 'God Particle' has been found

Scientists believe they have captured the elusive "God particle" that gives matter mass and holds the physical fabric of the universe together.

The historic announcement came in a progress report from the Large Hadron Collider particle accelerator.

Professor John Womersley, chief executive of the Science and technology Facilities Council, told reporters at a briefing in London: "They have discovered a particle consistent with the Higgs boson.

"Discovery is the important word. That is confirmed. It's a momentous day for science."

Scientists say it is a 5 sigma result which means they are 99.999% sure they have found a new particle.

Finding the Higgs plugs a gaping hole in the Standard Model, the theory that describes all the particles, forces and interactions that make up the universe.

If the particle was shown not to exist, it would have meant tearing up the Standard Model and going back to the drawing board.

The Cern laboratory appeared to have let slip its biggest breakthrough in a generation after appearing to announce the discovery of a new particle in an online video overnight.

In the short film accidentally published by the lab yesterday spokesman Joe Incandela is seen describing how physicists at the Large Hadron Collider had "observed a new particle".

Today scientists gathered in Geneva to announce the findings. Among the audience was Peter Higgs, the Edinburgh professor who first proposed the existence of the mysterious particle almost 50 years ago.

Rumours had been rife that scientists hunting the Higgs were to announce today's finding but the video appeared to confirm the finding of a particle matching its description hours before it was confirmed.

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 20 Higgs-boson-_2266388c It was first theorised in the 1960s by Edinburgh-based physicist Peter Higgs, amongst others, and is credited for giving all other particles mass. But until now, it has proved impossible to pin down (AFP/Getty Images)

Although their results are said to be strong enough to claim an official discovery, the scientists will avoid doing so because they remain unsure whether the particle they have found is indeed the Higgs.

Cern spokesman James Gillies said the video was one of several filmed to cover every eventuality and did not directly relate to today's announcement.

The Internet has been rife with rumours of a discovery ever since CERN, the European nuclear research facility, announced it would hold a press conference today with the leaders of its two gigantic experiments, ATLAS and CMS.

Sources have told the Telegraph that ATLAS will today announce a 5-sigma signal and CMS will announce a 4.9-sigma signal of a new particle with a mass of 126.5 GigaelectronVolts (GeV) and 125.2 GeV respectively - a result which falls slap bang in the middle of the tough-to-explore region where many physicists were adamant the Higgs was hiding.

The results being announced today definitively point to a new particle or particles which fit the description of a Higgs Boson, but further research will be needed to characterise it properly.

The Higgs boson is the final piece of the Standard Model of Particle Physics, a theoretical model which describes the fundamental particles and forces that control our Universe.

It was first theorised in the 1960s by Edinburgh-based physicist Peter Higgs, amongst others, and is credited for giving all other particles mass. But until now, it has proved impossible to pin down.

To do so, scientists use the LHC to smash together protons at almost the speed of light and scour the debris for traces of particles that sprang into existence for just a fraction of a second before disintegrating.

Sources have told the Telegraph that ATLAS will today announce a 5-sigma signal and CMS will announce a 4.9-sigma signal of a new particle with a mass which matches many physicists' idea of a Higgs Boson.

An ATLAS researcher said there was "no question" the two detectors are seeing the same thing, adding: "A lot of bets are going to be settled up [today]”.

“After so many years preparing and searching, it’s really amazing to see a clear signal emerge,” a CMS Higgs physicist added.

“This is the sort of thing that makes me cry,” said an ATLAS Higgs physicist. “It's the kind of crying that accompanies winning something or being overwhelmed with happiness. Human thought and ingenuity have continually created and discovered, but this outdoes them all."
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 am

Hahahaha, I guess so Mund.

I wonder what I'd have got in my Physics paper if I'd put 'I am almost certain this is the answer' and 'this is as close to the answer as you can get without actually getting the answer'?

Science, it's just not science anymore Sad
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Post  Sherrers Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:11 am

Science. Not an exact science.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:43 pm

Sherrers wrote:Science. Not an exact science.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
    scarlet pimpernel
    scarlet pimpernel
    vvw

Number of posts : 649

Post  scarlet pimpernel Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:22 pm

Laughing Laughing
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:17 am

apparently you are a big girl Ballz Very Happy

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:20 am

unfortunately it takes an infinite amount of marge

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Sherrers wrote:apparently you are a big girl Ballz Very Happy

That's a new insult for this forum, and it didn't come from T.B. I'm touched Wink
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:01 pm

I picked up the Daily Mail today while waiting for my coffee to find that there's a piece in "Femail" titled

"Men were right all along. Our hormones DO make us women irrational..."

By Rachel Ragg.

YES RLY. WUT? Riot Gurl, TB, sort them out, would you?
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Number of posts : 2685

Post  RvZ Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:01 am

my journalistic nose tells me Ms Ragg is not real.

I'm just gifted Laughing Laughing
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:02 am

Rachel Ragg Laughing riiiiight
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Post  RvZ Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:08 am

Do they have the phrase "on the rag" in Australia Daddy?
    T.B
    T.B

Number of posts : 3939

Post  T.B Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:36 am

I will forgive your silliness if someone can please explain what a higgs boson is in a handy soundbite.
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Post  wookie Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:09 pm

T.B wrote:I will forgive your silliness if someone can please explain what a higgs boson is in a handy soundbite.

it's basically universe glue, it keeps everything where it should be.
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm not 6!

even I know gravity keeps everything together.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:20 pm

Technically Wookster is correct. The one important item he missed out is that the Higgs Boson works at a quantum level. Gravity only works well with things that have mass. Once you start talking sub-atomic particles, there is little or no mass involved so the Higgs Boson is the particle that was created as the glue that holds these little beasties together.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Mass is the key word.
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Nope.

Still no idea.
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Post  RvZ Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:38 pm

I've seen a lot of coverage for it and I must confess I have no idea either!

I know why none of the coverage is very enlightening. Because none of the Journos get it. None will admit it.

Very Happy
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm surprised the BBC haven't rolled out Professor Brian Cox at every available opportunity. Shoddy work Wink
    jon carter
    jon carter
    vw

Number of posts : 217

Post  jon carter Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Sherrers wrote:Mass is the key word.

The publishers of New Scientist pay by the word you know Very Happy
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Post  RvZ Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Laughing Laughing
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:21 am

scarlet pimpernel
    scarlet pimpernel
    vvw

Number of posts : 649

Post  scarlet pimpernel Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 pm

fancy

still has a wooden zimma frame tho
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4046

Post  Son of Nod Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 20 120710133102-large
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:53 am

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:53 am

T.B wrote:I will forgive your silliness if someone can please explain what a higgs boson is in a handy soundbite.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:38 pm