VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+24
mundyke
Beatrix
elrusto
Studio
Welsh
crang
Rrriot Guurl
Son of Nod
scarlet pimpernel
Bishop
Juanito
Jnr DJ
Jonny Boy
Ye Olde Rog
shAdy
PW
bigdaddy
Ben
jim_kezzle
T.B
RvZ
Fandango Widewheels
Sherrers
wookie
28 posters

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD Empty Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  wookie Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:08 am

that you want to carry out

mine:

to put milk in a iron and see what happens
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Sherrers Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:09 am

hot milk

next!

Wink
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Fandango Widewheels Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:11 am

I've always wanted to put a shed load of tin foil in a microwave and watch it explode.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:15 am

lemon juice, bleach, unopened fizzy beverage, handful of fertiliser.

wrap in foil or place inside metal tin

switch the gas on

will level a house
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Number of posts : 2685

Post  RvZ Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:16 am

MarkD77 wrote:I've always wanted to put a shed load of tin foil in a microwave and watch it explode.

it will just short circuit

Tim we used to have a cracking film thread AND science thread on Basics. Whaddup?
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:17 am

Hmmmm, I hope the CIA aren't monitoring this board.

Just add keywords - western, infidels, non-believers and you've got a full house Suspect affraid
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:18 am

Al wrote:
    MarkD77 wrote:I've always wanted to put a shed load of tin foil in a microwave and watch it explode.

it will just short circuit

Tim we used to have a cracking film thread AND science thread on Basics. Whaddup?

You get some cracking arc'ing going on though.
    T.B
    T.B

Number of posts : 3939

Post  T.B Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 am

MarkD77 wrote:Hmmmm, I hope the CIA aren't monitoring this board.

Just add keywords - western, infidels, non-believers and you've got a full house Suspect affraid

and you've done it!

Tim, Al is right can we have some threads that aren't spin offs from top gear? Wink
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Post  wookie Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:25 am

Token Bird wrote:
    MarkD77 wrote:Hmmmm, I hope the CIA aren't monitoring this board.

and you've done it!

Tim, Al is right can we have some threads that aren't spin offs from top gear? Wink

there more like spin offs from brainiac not top gear tongue
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Post  RvZ Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:27 am

I think that's what she meant mate.

No reason we can't have cod science and real science on the same thread.

Unless you are going to try argue the case for Bears that can kill dinosaurs? Wink
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Number of posts : 575

Post  jim_kezzle Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:30 am

I'd like to conduct an experiment that involves the kidnapping of BBC football pundit Mark Lawrenson; several days of torturing him requiring a blowtorch, several sharp implements, a pistol drill. vinegar, the spiciest chillis, and then administer enough heroin to ensure he's addicted before releasing him back out to the wild.
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Post  wookie Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 am

jim_kezzle wrote:I'd like to conduct an experiment that involves the kidnapping of BBC football pundit Mark Lawrenson; several days of torturing him requiring a blowtorch, several sharp implements, a pistol drill. vinegar, the spiciest chillis, and then administer enough heroin to ensure he's addicted before releasing him back out to the wild.

mate theres a whole list to do that before him

the top of the list would be

alan green
    spoony
    tim lovejoy
    clive tyldsey
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Post  wookie Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:32 am

Al wrote:I think that's what she meant mate.

No reason we can't have cod science and real science on the same thread.

Unless you are going to try argue the case for Bears that can kill dinosaurs? Wink

there is some dinosaurs, grizzly bears could kill, maybe not t-rex like i claimed before
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Post  jim_kezzle Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:42 am

wookie wrote:
    jim_kezzle wrote:I'd like to conduct an experiment that involves the kidnapping of BBC football pundit Mark Lawrenson; several days of torturing him requiring a blowtorch, several sharp implements, a pistol drill. vinegar, the spiciest chillis, and then administer enough heroin to ensure he's addicted before releasing him back out to the wild.

mate theres a whole list to do that before him

the top of the list would be

alan green
    spoony
    tim lovejoy
    clive tyldsey

All in good time my friend! Twisted Evil
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Number of posts : 752

Post  Ben Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:04 am

Elephants on acid

What happens if you give an elephant LSD? Researchers solved this mystery on Friday 3 August 1962, when Warren Thomas, director of Lincoln Park Zoo in Oklahoma City, fired a cartridge-syringe containing 297 milligrams of LSD into the rump of Tusko the elephant. With Thomas were two colleagues from the University of Oklahoma School of Medicine, Louis Jolyon West and Chester M. Pierce.

The dose was about 3000 times what a human would typically take. Thomas, West and Pierce figured that if they were going to give an elephant LSD they'd better not give it too little. They later explained that the experiment was designed to find out if LSD would induce musth in an elephant - musth being a kind of temporary madness male elephants sometimes experience during which they become highly aggressive and secrete a sticky fluid from their temporal glands. One may also suspect a small element of ghoulish curiosity was involved.

Whatever the reason for the experiment, it almost immediately went awry. Tusko reacted as if he had been shot by a gun. He trumpeted around his pen for a few minutes and then keeled over. Horrified, the researchers tried to revive him with a variety of antipsychotics, but about an hour later he was dead. In an article published four months after the event (Science, vol 138, p 1100), the three scientists sheepishly concluded: "It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD."

The experiment instantly made headlines. Faced with a public relations disaster, the scientists protested their innocence. They had not anticipated the elephant would die, they insisted. In their experience, LSD was a powerful hallucinogen but rarely fatal. West and Pierce helpfully noted that they themselves had previously taken the drug.

Thomas tried to find a silver lining. They had learned that LSD can be lethal to elephants. So perhaps, he mused, the drug could be used to destroy herds in countries where they are a problem. For some reason, his suggestion has never found any takers.
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Number of posts : 752

Post  Ben Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:10 am

8 Two-headed dogs

In 1954 Soviet surgeon Vladimir Demikhov shocked the world by unveiling a surgically created monstrosity - a two-headed dog. He created the creature in a lab at the Moscow Institute of Surgery by grafting the head, shoulders and front legs of a puppy onto the neck of a mature German shepherd.

Demikhov invited reporters from around the world to witness his creation. Journalists gasped as the two heads simultaneously lapped at bowls of milk, and then cringed as the milk from the puppy's head dribbled out the disconnected stump of its oesophageal tube. Of course, the puppy did not need to eat or drink; it received all its nourishment from the circulatory system of the older dog. But it liked to drink because its mouth became dry. It also enjoyed licking candy.

Of particular interest was the extent to which the two heads shared a common set of sensory experiences. Reporters observed that when one head wanted to eat, so did the other. When it was hot, both panted. If one yawned, so did the other. Not all their emotions were identical, though. The older dog, annoyed at having the foreign head attached to his neck, occasionally tried to shake it off. This prompted the puppy to retaliate by biting his larger companion on the ear.

Demikhov's two-headed dog lived for only six days, but over the course of the next 15 years he constructed 19 more. None of these lived very long either - the record was a month - as they inevitably succumbed to tissue rejection. Demikhov seemed strangely naive about this, and frequently commented that the dogs died only because of imperfections in his surgical technique, which would soon be overcome. This attitude puzzled his western counterparts.

The Soviet Union proudly paraded the dogs as proof of the nation's medical pre-eminence, but most doctors in the west, while conceding Demikhov's skill as a surgeon, dismissed them as a publicity stunt. The western press eventually began referring to them as Russia's "surgical Sputnik". Demikhov justified his activities as part of a continuing series of experiments in surgical techniques, directed ultimately at learning how to perform a human heart transplant. Christiaan Barnard of the University of Cape Town in South Africa beat him to this goal in December 1967, but Demikhov is widely credited with paving the way.
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Post  RvZ Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:52 am

I propose that we have found our science correspondent! You're hired Ben Wink

It's real science, but weird.
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:03 am

I like the way this is going.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:06 am

I've always had two subscription since I was a youngster and I got them as presents from my Dad.

Private Eye and New Scientist.

You don't need to read anything else, every other publication nicks everything from them anyway. Except Marie Clare. They nick from Scientific American Wink

I'll be putting up some New Scientist links soon. Invisible Cloaks, Flying Tanks, Octopus robots. All real. Great stuff.
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:26 pm

I'd like to conduct an experiment that involves the kidnapping of BBC football pundit Mark Lawrenson; several days of torturing him requiring a blowtorch, several sharp implements, a pistol drill. vinegar, the spiciest chillis, and then administer enough heroin to ensure he's addicted before releasing him back out to the wild.

Can you stretch this to include the founders of Innocent Smoothies?
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Post  jim_kezzle Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:38 pm

bigdaddy wrote:I'd like to conduct an experiment that involves the kidnapping of BBC football pundit Mark Lawrenson; several days of torturing him requiring a blowtorch, several sharp implements, a pistol drill. vinegar, the spiciest chillis, and then administer enough heroin to ensure he's addicted before releasing him back out to the wild.

Can you stretch this to include the founders of Innocent Smoothies?

I have no beef with them, however I could loan you my torture kit and pass on some tips, you'd have to kidnap them yourself though.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:46 am

PW
    PW
    wrong un

Number of posts : 65

Post  PW Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:58 pm

i once tied my pet gerbil to a Fine Fare shopping bag to be used as a a parachute and threw it out of my window closely followed by action man,both survived,experiment over.
    shAdy
    shAdy
    vvw

Number of posts : 521

Post  shAdy Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Sherrers wrote:Imagine. A world without men. An insect world. Where ladies rule...

It seems The Two Ronnies were right after all....
    Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD The+worm+has+turned
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Post  RvZ Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:51 pm

PW wrote:i once tied my pet gerbil to a Fine Fare shopping bag to be used as a a parachute and threw it out of my window closely followed by action man,both survived,experiment over.

Laughing Laughing

I like pete.
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 am

Sherrers wrote:Imagine. A world without men. An insect world. Where ladies rule...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1170225/Amazonian-ants-make-males-redundant-worlds-female-species.html

You're all waiting for me to say something. Something about Amazons. But I'm not. I'm just really enjoying some Science right now.
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1633

Post  Ye Olde Rog Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:50 am

is it real science or shampoo science?

Wink
    Jonny Boy
    Jonny Boy
    vvwi

Number of posts : 753

Post  Jonny Boy Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:51 am

Very Happy here comes the science bit...
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:02 am

Very Happy ...here comes the whack over the head with a handbag bit!

unless you want to use up your get-out-of-jail-free sexism card now TB and button it for being a big southern racist?

Wink
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:10 am

Sherrers wrote:Very Happy ...here comes the whack over the head with a handbag bit!

unless you want to use up your get-out-of-jail-free sexism card now TB and button it for being a big southern racist?

Wink

Laughing Laughing

*says nothing*

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:55 pm