VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+24
mundyke
Beatrix
elrusto
Studio
Welsh
crang
Rrriot Guurl
Son of Nod
scarlet pimpernel
Bishop
Juanito
Jnr DJ
Jonny Boy
Ye Olde Rog
shAdy
PW
bigdaddy
Ben
jim_kezzle
T.B
RvZ
Fandango Widewheels
Sherrers
wookie
28 posters

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 13 Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Fandango Widewheels Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:50 pm

jim_kezzle wrote:
    Fandango Widewheels wrote:
    Sherrers wrote:
    Fandango Widewheels wrote:Yes, but you still have to defrost it, even if it's not by hand. Why hasn't someone developed a glass type substance which repels water vapour, therefore not forming frost?

You can't mess with surface tension it's beyond the realms of sanity man!

Water condenses on every surface. Something that was so smooth it denied the purchase of water vapour would be like THE SON OF ROGER MOORE AND SHERE KHAN for god's sake.

I suppose you would need a surface which was smooth to the point that the laragest defect in said surface was smaller than a molecule of water and was incredibly inert.

Someone must be working on this.

Quite the opposite. I saw a program on tv a year or so ago that was about future inventions and developments, and they had developed a glass that would never need cleaning due to the surface having so many serrated surfaces at different angles that were so small that nothing could actually cling to it.
    Meanwhile this was naked to the eye so was therefore perfectly clear to look through. Very expensive to manufacture though. Main idea was to use them on very large buildings where it was difficult to get to the windows to clean them.

Impressive! Nice one Jim.
    Broadhead
    Broadhead
    vvwi

Number of posts : 3637

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 13 Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Broadhead Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:10 am

It all sounds like a bit of a pane to me.

*hangs self*
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Post  Sherrers Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:12 am

I refer my learned friends to my initial statement concerning surface tension.

It's not about repelling dirt.

Moisture.

If water can accumulate in air it certainly can manage on a surface.

Prof Jim is referring to one the many but as yet sky pie applications of Graphene.

NEXT!

Very Happy
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4046

Post  Son of Nod Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:17 am

Broadhead wrote:It all sounds like a bit of a pane to me.

*hangs self*

Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:28 am

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:15 am

Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Watched this...heard most of it....rest of the time I mostly listened to Heath babbling! Laughing
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:09 pm

Got quite excited reading this....

NIGHT SKY
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:06 am

This is a 5 min drive from my house:

www.wynyard-planetarium.net

I really want to go, but I'm scared it will be full of beardy men who will sneer at my A-level physics knowledge.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:34 am

Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:55 am

The spider-goat....I was expecting a bleeting eight legged goat. What got me was the silk they got from the milk! Shocked

WOW....man being god. I reckon somewhere in the depths of Yorkshire, man has been creating new lifeforms.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:25 am

I knew you'd like it.

What got me was the ready availability of biotech and how quickly it is moving.

The biologist presenter was dead right. Biotech is basically at the cusp like digital tech was in the 80's.

If it's at the point where you don't need millions and can do it from a garage then the next 20 years are going to be very amazing.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:29 am

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:39 pm

The only person with a tenuous link to actual science and you bring the tone down to this.

Hang your head.
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:43 pm

Was there once a series called 'Chimera' ages ago....a man crossed with an ape or something?

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:45 pm

Son of Nod wrote:Was there once a series called 'Chimera' ages ago....a man crossed with an ape or something?

GOOGLE IT!

finally a use for the internet!

Very Happy
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Sherrers wrote:
    Son of Nod wrote:Was there once a series called 'Chimera' ages ago....a man crossed with an ape or something?

GOOGLE IT!

finally a use for the internet!

Very Happy

A journalist investigates the death of his girl friend at a fertility clinic where she worked and uncovers a plot to create a new breed of human based on crossing the genetics of a man and an ape.
    Jnr DJ
    Jnr DJ
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1080

Post  Jnr DJ Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:10 am

Sherrers wrote:I knew you'd like it.

The biologist presenter was dead right. Biotech is basically at the cusp like digital tech was in the 80's.

If it's at the point where you don't need millions and can do it from a garage then the next 20 years are going to be very amazing.

We are using this programme in school for the ethics debate funnily enough.

Even the youngest class have yet to mention spider pig I should say Very Happy
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:02 am

Jnr DJ wrote:

Do they all live in a bubble Wink
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:20 am

Technology huh! Shocked

What you looking at!
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:31 am

Fandango Widewheels wrote:
    Jnr DJ wrote:

Do they all live in a bubble Wink

I think you've been told off by teach Very Happy
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Nothing new there.
    Jnr DJ
    Jnr DJ
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1080

Post  Jnr DJ Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:30 am

Laughing Laughing
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 13 Empty Invisibility cloak uses 'metamaterial' to hide three-dimensional objects

Post  Son of Nod Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:23 am

Invisibility cloak for Sherrers!

Harry Potter Cloak
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:07 am

Son of Nod wrote:Invisibility cloak for Sherrers!

Harry Potter Cloak

Christian Science Monitor??

Hang your head man!

I think I put up the invisible cloak about a year ago.

An actual cloak. Not something that makes 'an object invisible to microwaves'.

Like a Pot Noodle.
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:30 am

Laughing
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:33 am

Lego sent to Jupiter on Juno...it's true!

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 13 Space-figs-1
    elrusto
    elrusto
    vw

Number of posts : 364

Post  elrusto Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:47 am

Son of Nod wrote:Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 13 Logo

CLICK ME

Wowzers! The guy who owns that is a friend of the family. He used to bring round some of his more portable Victorian gadgets when I was a kid... usually involved mild electrocution at some point
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:43 am

elrusto wrote:
    Son of Nod wrote:Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 13 Logo

CLICK ME

Wowzers! The guy who owns that is a friend of the family. He used to bring round some of his more portable Victorian gadgets when I was a kid... usually involved mild electrocution at some point

See. You missed us. You wouldn't get that happening on resident advisor.
    elrusto
    elrusto
    vw

Number of posts : 364

Post  elrusto Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Very true! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:02 am