VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+24
mundyke
Beatrix
elrusto
Studio
Welsh
crang
Rrriot Guurl
Son of Nod
scarlet pimpernel
Bishop
Juanito
Jnr DJ
Jonny Boy
Ye Olde Rog
shAdy
PW
bigdaddy
Ben
jim_kezzle
T.B
RvZ
Fandango Widewheels
Sherrers
wookie
28 posters

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 2 Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Sherrers Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:22 am

From New Scientist

SO YOU'VE hitch-hiked through Central America, stalked rare beasts in Madagascar and trekked your way through northern Chile. You're pretty well travelled, even if you do say so yourself. Before you get ideas about being an intrepid explorer, however, consider this. For all their wide open spaces and seeming wildernesses, none of these places can be described as remote in 2009.

In fact, very little of the world's land can now be thought of as inaccessible, according to a new map of connectedness created by researchers at the European Commission's Joint Research Centre in Ispra, Italy, and the World Bank.

The maps are based on a model which calculated how long it would take to travel to the nearest city of 50,000 or more people by land or water. The model combines information on terrain and access to road, rail and river networks (see the maps). It also considers how factors such as altitude, steepness of terrain and hold-ups like border crossings slow travel.

Plotted onto a map, the results throw up surprises. First, less than 10 per cent of the world's land is more than 48 hours of ground-based travel from the nearest city. What's more, many areas considered remote and inaccessible are not as far from civilisation as you might think. In the Amazon, for example, extensive river networks and an increasing number of roads mean that only 20 per cent of the land is more than two days from a city - around the same proportion as Canada's Quebec province.

Shocked
    Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 2 Mg202210
    T.B
    T.B

Number of posts : 3939

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 2 Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  T.B Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:27 am

crikey!

small world.
    Jonny Boy
    Jonny Boy
    vvwi

Number of posts : 753

Post  Jonny Boy Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:40 am

its like, both interesting and a bit depressing
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:40 am

a bit like Rog Wink
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Number of posts : 2685

Post  RvZ Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:23 am

it's fascinating is that map actually. have you got a link tim?

the Hindu Cush is calling me Wink
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:06 am

Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1633

Post  Ye Olde Rog Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 am

Sherrers wrote:a bit like Rog Wink

I'm watching!

Sleep

no I'm not

Sleep
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:05 am

is this the future of the biz?

http://peoplesmusicstore.com/
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Number of posts : 752

Post  Ben Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Here's some more amazing Science to keep you going:

1. There are 62,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body - laid end to end they would circle the earth 2.5 times

2. At over 2000 kilometers long The Great Barrier Reef is the largest living structure on Earth

3. The risk of being struck by a falling meteorite for a human is one occurrence every 9,300 years

4. A thimbleful of a neutron star would weigh over 100 million tons

5. A typical hurricane produces the energy equivalent to 8,000 one megaton bombs

6. Blood sucking hookworms inhabit 700 million people worldwide

7. The highest speed ever achieved on a bicycle is 166.94 mph by Fred Rompelberg

8. We can produce laser light a million times brighter than sunshine

9. 65% of those with autism are left handed

10. The combined length of the roots of a Finnish pine tree is over 30 miles

I will dig some more out ASAP!!

cheers
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Post  wookie Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:54 pm

about 10% of males are colourblind, and less then 1% of females are
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:51 am

wookie wrote:about 10% of males are colourblind, and less then 1% of females are

and 100% of dogs
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

Post  Fandango Widewheels Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:51 am

Here is an interesting one. The reason a lot of people don't like the sound of nails on a blackboard is due to the frequency of the 'squeak'. It is very close to the frequency of the call that a monkey gives when it is in danger. If you are to believe we are evolved from primates it's a bit of a 'hangover' in our genetic makeup which instils a sense of fear in us. Of course, we don't feel it as fear so it just makes us cringe with discomfort.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:03 am

I think it's about 10hz

I always do a cut on that frequency in tracks. it's the nastier end of the hi-hats sort of.

our upper frequency response dies out as we get older. you may remember they invented an anti-chav thing that sent out a higher end tone that only kids can hear.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

Post  Fandango Widewheels Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:05 am

Sherrers wrote:I think it's about 10hz

I always do a cut on that frequency in tracks. it's the nastier end of the hi-hats sort of.

our upper frequency response dies out as we get older. you may remember they invented an anti-chav thing that sent out a higher end tone that only kids can hear.

That'll be when it all starts going a bit distort.com then.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:30 am

MarkD77 wrote:That'll be when it all starts going a bit distort.com then.

pardon?

it's bad for the ears too
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Here's another does of Science facts to keep you on your toes.

1. The oceans contain enough salt to cover all the continents to a depth of nearly 500 feet

2. The interstellar gas cloud Sagittarius B contains a billion, billion, billion liters of alcohol

3. Polar Bears can run at 25 miles an hour and jump over 6 feet in the air

4. 60-65 million years ago dolphins and humans shared a common ancestor

5.Polar Bears are nearly undetectable by infrared cameras, due to their transparent fur

6. The average person accidentally eats 430 bugs each year of their life

7. A single rye plant can spread up to 400 miles of roots underground

8. The temperature on the surface of Mercury exceeds 430 degrees C during the day, and, at night, plummets to minus 180 degrees centigrade

9. The evaporation from a large oak or beech tree is from ten to twenty-five gallons in twenty-four hours

10. Butterflies taste with their hind feet and their taste sensation works on touch - this allows them to determine whether a leaf is edible
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:12 pm

Ben Scottish wrote:2. The interstellar gas cloud Sagittarius B contains a billion, billion, billion liters of alcohol

MORE THAN A NORTHERN HEN PARTY? No way!
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:13 pm

You know what? no word of a lie I was going to say something very similar!

Idea
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Post  Ye Olde Rog Fri May 01, 2009 9:13 am

didn't dope smugglaz have a press release of amazing science facts that you totally made up tim?
    Jnr DJ
    Jnr DJ
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1080

Post  Jnr DJ Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:50 am

Ben Scottish wrote:

5.Polar Bears are nearly undetectable by infrared cameras, due to their transparent fur

those two are toss. I'm no scientist but I know toss when I see it.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:51 pm

Jnr DJ wrote:
    Ben Scottish wrote:

by george I think he's right.
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Jnr DJ wrote:
    Ben Scottish wrote:5.Polar Bears are nearly undetectable by infrared cameras, due to their transparent fur

I think you should have looked into it a little more!!

# Sunquist, Fiona, "The colorful world of black white.black and white animals", International Wildlife, vol. 26 (3), p. 12, May, 1996.

"In 1995, British scientists discovered that polar bear hairs block infra-red radiation and seem to suck in ultraviolet light which is used to heat their bodies. Possible applications include better lasers for eye surgery, more efficient solar panels covered with polar bear fur, and military camouflage undetectable by infra-red cameras."

# "What color are polar bears?", Reuters News Service, August 19, 1986.

"Two scientists from Northeastern University in Boston [Grojean and Kowalski] inadvertently have discovered that the thick, shaggy coats of polar bears are capable of incredibly sophisticated and efficient solar energy conversion, changing light that hits the fur to heat that warms the body...[W]hen [Lavigne and Oritsland] used ultraviolet equipment, which registers short-wave, invisible rays at the end of the light spectrum, the bears stood out dramatically, indicating an abundance of ultraviolet light on the bear's fur...Grojean says that a single hair of white polar bear fur, viewed under a microscope, is actually transparent. The clear, smooth-surfaced hair has an opaque, hollow, rough-surfaced core, called the medulla, that scatters light hitting the fur and somehow conducts 95 percent of the ultraviolet light down to the polar bear's black skin, where it is converted into heat."
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Sherrers wrote:
    Jnr DJ wrote:
    Ben Scottish wrote:

by george I think he's right.

I was going to look for some references regarding the above. Now there are a few articles discussing the concept but nothing I can find that 100% supports the above fact.

Here is an artical that I have just read.

http://english.pravda.ru/society/anomal/99516-0/
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Ben Goldacre is my hero - http://www.badscience.net.
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Post  Ye Olde Rog Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:37 pm

Ben Scottish wrote:I think you should have looked into it a little more!!

# Sunquist, Fiona, "The colorful world of black white.black and white animals", International Wildlife, vol. 26 (3), p. 12, May, 1996.

"In 1995, British scientists discovered that polar bear hairs block infra-red radiation and seem to suck in ultraviolet light which is used to heat their bodies. Possible applications include better lasers for eye surgery, more efficient solar panels covered with polar bear fur, and military camouflage undetectable by infra-red cameras."

I think you should read it more carefully...

I've enboldened the key words that give it away....

Last edited by Ye Olde Rog on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:45 pm

enboldened! I love it! it's like that word on the Simpsons "enbiggened".

Nice to see Ben back even if it is only for rebuttal purposes.

There is a universe of difference between internet interpretation of science and facts. Real science finds it very hard to deal in absolutes at all.

The clues are in there.

Real science only please!
    Jonny Boy
    Jonny Boy
    vvwi

Number of posts : 753

Post  Jonny Boy Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:51 pm

let's have a science off!

Very Happy
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Post  wookie Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 am

im staying out of any science off's

until i find proof about my polar bear theory
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:36 am

wookie wrote:im staying out of any science off's

Quality ^^

It has been a while since I was last on here. I have spent quite a while trying to catch up with all the posts. I will endeavor to find some more REAL science facts for you though. Wink
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Post  Ye Olde Rog Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:33 am

wookie wrote:im staying out of any science off's

what proof? that it can beat down a cyborg dinosaur? I forget?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:19 pm