VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+24
mundyke
Beatrix
elrusto
Studio
Welsh
crang
Rrriot Guurl
Son of Nod
scarlet pimpernel
Bishop
Juanito
Jnr DJ
Jonny Boy
Ye Olde Rog
shAdy
PW
bigdaddy
Ben
jim_kezzle
T.B
RvZ
Fandango Widewheels
Sherrers
wookie
28 posters

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 27 Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Sherrers Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:00 am

You are not joking are you?

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 27 Empty Re: Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD

Post  Fandango Widewheels Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:03 am

No, not at all.

I think there are millions of unfunded projects here on terra firma which would benefit mankind more than sending a remote control car to Mars. I know that there will be practical uses for some of the info gained but I'd like to see some kind of cost/benefit analysis. I bet it's not a project that any industry would fund.
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4046

Post  Son of Nod Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:05 am

Fandango Widewheels wrote:No, not at all.

I think there are millions of unfunded projects here on terra firma which would benefit mankind more than sending a remote control car to Mars. I know that there will be practical uses for some of the info gained but I'd like to see some kind of cost/benefit analysis. I bet it's not a project that any industry would fund.

Here's an unfunded project for Terra Firma....

'What colour is wind?'
    Prof Nodula
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:11 am

Do you think they would even start the design stage if it wasn't jam packed with applications both scientific and practical?

NASA isn't the money behind it you know. Just the admin.

For all that do you think America in general would do anything at all in the spirit of curiosity? That's just one of many cuddly smokescreen names used to front massive military, biochemical and industrial research.

MONEY and lots of it. I can't believe you are doing this to me!

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:18 am

Son of Nod wrote:

'What colour is wind?'
    Prof Nodula

A fine brown mist in your case
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:25 am

Sherrers wrote:
    Son of Nod wrote:

'What colour is wind?'
    Prof Nodula

A fine brown mist in your case

Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:27 am

Sherrers wrote:

Do you think they would even start the design stage if it wasn't jam packed with applications both scientific and practical?

NASA isn't the money behind it you know. Just the admin.

For all that do you think America in general would do anything at all in the spirit of curiosity? That's just one of many cuddly smokescreen names used to front massive military, biochemical and industrial research.

MONEY and lots of it. I can't believe you are doing this to me!

I think it gives more political than material gain. Just my cynical two penneth.
    peenieman
    peenieman
    very valued guest

Number of posts : 48

Post  peenieman Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:45 am

mad scientists today Very Happy
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:49 am

I sat next to a guy on the plane last Tuesday who is working on this project

http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/archive/2012/02/features/the-lightbulb-moment?page=all

Fascinating stuff.
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:37 pm

Prof HAWTIN'S POPULAR SCIENCE THREAD - Page 27 R-INTERNATIONAL-SPACE-STATION-large570

MOSCOW (AP) — The Russian space program's Mission Control Center says it will move the International Space Station into a different orbit to avoid possible collision with a fragment of debris.

Mission Control Center spokeswoman Nadyezhda Zavyalova said the Russian Zvevda module will fire booster rockets to carry out the operation Thursday at 07:22 a.m. Moscow time (0322 GMT).

The space station performs evasive maneuvers when the likelihood of a collision exceeds one in 10,000.

NASA estimates that more than 21,000 fragments of orbital debris larger than 10 centimeters (3.9 inches) are stuck in earth's orbit, and experts worry that orbiting junk is becoming a growing problem for the space industry.

There are six astronauts — three Russians, two Americans and one from Japan — onboard the orbiting laboratory.

Shocked Shocked
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:45 pm

I'd love a job cleaning up space.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:09 pm

Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:15 pm

I want them!
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:05 am

http://www.ustream.tv/NASAJPL

Is that Roger at 25 seconds? Very Happy
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Post  wookie Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:04 am

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:48 am

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:18 am

this might help some of you doylums get why we need this mars mission

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:02 am

*doylum watches video*
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Post  wookie Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm

scarlet pimpernel
    scarlet pimpernel
    vvw

Number of posts : 649

Post  scarlet pimpernel Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:53 pm

ay good pics
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:12 am

I mentioned graphene about 3 years ago but this handy vid is a good primer

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:12 pm

You have reached a new level. A 'handy primer on graphene'. I see a succesful weekend with the ladies comig up Wink

But, joking aside, I cam across this yesterday on the same subject

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19918703
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I just said! I told you all about Graphene 3 years back it's not for me I've got New Scientist as my papery Egor... the above is for doylums Very Happy
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:10 am

If it's a clear night tonight we should get a very good view of this

http://www.isstracker.com/

It should come into view about 19:55
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:14 am

Everyone loves a 3D printer. Cos it can make anything at all.

http://store.makerbot.com/replicator-404.html

lovely little story about a bloke fixing his harpsichord using one ;

http://www.makerbot.com/blog/2012/08/02/bringing-back-the-music-with-a-makerbot/
    Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:27 am

Fandango Widewheels wrote:If it's a clear night tonight we should get a very good view of this

http://www.isstracker.com/

It should come into view about 19:55

Yeah, done that.....watched a bright blip in the sky at night. OoooooOooooooh how exciting.... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:58 am

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:42 am

Son of Nod
    Son of Nod
    vvwi

Post  Son of Nod Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 11:14 am