VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+18
Juanito
Bishop
Jonny Boy
Seeley
Ye Olde Rog
Jnr DJ
scarlet pimpernel
Rrriot Guurl
mr.a
Son of Nod
T.B
Broadhead
bigdaddy
RvZ
wookie
Sherrers
Beatrix
Fandango Widewheels
22 posters

What are the English best at?

Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

What are the English best at? - Page 8 Empty Re: What are the English best at?

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:20 am

RvZ wrote:It's way way more complex but also yes Very Happy

Yes corporate and federal laws are tighter in the US and yes litigation is a real fear.

Yes multinationals in the UK are like unpleasant kids in Wonkaland. UK is stupidly soft on corporations and even stupider with it's libel laws. Basically weak against the rich and deadly against the poor which is shameful. I mean makes me personally ashamed.

There is a huge myth that UK law is superior and US law shoddy. It's the opposite.

Isn't the English legal system more of a level playing field though? More consistent?
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:38 am

Fandango Widewheels wrote:Isn't the English legal system more of a level playing field though? More consistent?

The legal system is only as good as the expectations around it. The UK has a culture in which the expectation is that utilities, banks, etc, are crooked, so corruption runs right through the system.

It's tempting to say "in any other western country, you wouldn't get... " But honestly, even ignoring recent high-level nasties like Libor fixing or HSBC getting such a huge chunk of its international profits from laundering drug money, foreigners like myself are stunned by the level of fraudulent behaviour that's accepted as a basic part of life here.

In Australia and I suspect also the US, if Npower's little mobile satan salespeople doorstoped a granny and forged her signature on a change of supplier form, they'd be thrown in jail for fraud. Same for the absolute bullshit that goes on here with banks, other utilities, the way debt collectors can harrass people without any legal penalties for overstepping their bounds...

From the outside, and with a very limited historical perspective, it seems to come back to that feudal idea that there's a guy in the big house who will always win, so it's simpler to shut the fuck up and roll with it.

Where Americans, the good or bad of their legal system aside, will take some personal responsibility for getting down on the street with a sign that says "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore".

They may get the apostrophe in "I'm" wrong, but they'll be out there marching regardless.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:16 am

Blimey hell, that's us in a nutshell.

It's about time the peasants revolted.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Post  Sherrers Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 am

Fandango Widewheels wrote:
    RvZ wrote:It's way way more complex but also yes Very Happy

Yes corporate and federal laws are tighter in the US and yes litigation is a real fear.

Yes multinationals in the UK are like unpleasant kids in Wonkaland. UK is stupidly soft on corporations and even stupider with it's libel laws. Basically weak against the rich and deadly against the poor which is shameful. I mean makes me personally ashamed.

There is a huge myth that UK law is superior and US law shoddy. It's the opposite.

Isn't the English legal system more of a level playing field though? More consistent?

No the opposite.

It's very old for starters. So you have 500 year old laws that never get repealed as they may come in handy.

It's far more complex which benefits only it's major players.

It's entirely based on your income. At all levels. Sadly most law is globally now.

It's completely inflexible in the sense that legal tourists come to England to prosecute. If a law is a law we have to chase it down if it goes through certain channels. Many things other countries would laugh at have been pursued to grim conclusions here.

Many of our judges are fucking nutters. Meaning way WAY too old. Utterly out of touch with reality and deranged in the loony style that only the upper middle class can be. Other countries pension them off. We give them a promotion to pick other judges and discuss ancient law (i.e keep it like they like it).

We have too many courts too. Too many types.

I could go on but I'd have to use references I'm out of my depth.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:28 am

As you may have gathered, I've never had any legal issues. Probably a good job given your critique. I'd be off straight to the gallows.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:39 am

Your company probable have a staff team on call 24/7 mate . I imagine they even have their own 'cleaners'. Seriously.

I'd sleep very soundly wrapped in the arms of THE MAN amigo Very Happy
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:44 am

Sherrers wrote:Your company probable have a staff team on call 24/7 mate . I imagine they even have their own 'cleaners'. Seriously.

I'd sleep very soundly wrapped in the arms of THE MAN amigo Very Happy

We have a very extensive legal team. Any company of our size has got a few skeletons in the closet. I know ours is more of a dressing room Very Happy
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:49 am

I imagine you have an in-house team way in excess of most firms and a couple of firms on retainer in every single country in the world.

I'd sleep VERY soundly Sleep
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:16 am

I wonder if they're watching me right now cyclops cyclops cyclops
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:52 am

Paid by the hour? I think you can relax mate Very Happy
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Number of posts : 2685

Post  RvZ Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:56 pm

I went to the bookies yesterday and put a pony on Queen Victoria to win the ladies cycling cheers
    Rrriot Guurl
    Rrriot Guurl
    vvw

Number of posts : 685

Post  Rrriot Guurl Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:58 pm

And she's well fit I love you
    Broadhead
    Broadhead
    vvwi

Number of posts : 3637

Post  Broadhead Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:41 pm

Rrriot Guurl wrote:And she's well fit I love you

Agreed.
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:13 pm

Tutt tutt people. Really Rolling Eyes

She is gaaaaaaawjus
    T.B
    T.B

Number of posts : 3939

Post  T.B Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:06 am

What are the English best at? - Page 8 Stop-h10
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Apparently we are rather good at winning French conquests involving cycles. The sight of a Brit being cheered down the Champs Elysees must have had Roger in raptures Smile

We're not as good at Cricket as we thought we were.

The Lympicz is just five days away. Although not a massive track and field fan I do hope it is a massive success, this country needs something to cheer about.
    T.B
    T.B

Number of posts : 3939

Post  T.B Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:42 pm

i've only jus finished cheering fort the queen all my cheering bits are well knackered

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am