VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

Things to listen to! (Recommendations of legal music to download/stream)

tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Number of posts : 63

Things to listen to! (Recommendations of legal music to download/stream) Empty Things to listen to! (Recommendations of legal music to download/stream)

Post  tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 3:29 am

Right-o, here's my idea:

I like listening to music, particularly DJ sets, and download lots of stuff. However, there's so much music out there on the internet that it's nice to get recommendations of stuff to save you sifting through all the crap (or missing out on stuff). So I'm thinking those of us who want to can post up links to music they recommend listening to (and those of us who are lucky enough to get to wear headphones at work can reap the benefits Wink), and we can all have a nice little chat about the stuff that is posted Smile

Some rules/recommendations may be helpful:
    - Keep it legal - I would class DJ sets as legal if they are recorded and posted up, or made available as podcasts, but not if they are rips of commercial CDs. Pretty important this - don't want people getting in trouble at work for downloading dodgy stuff, or for the forum to get in trouble for linking to dodgy stuff.
    - Post anything - individual songs, albums, DJ sets, live PA's, podcasts...
    - Post either streaming or downloadable stuff (preferably direct links, but Rapidshare etc. isn't too bad).
    - Try and keep the quality high - both in terms of the stuff being good (obviously that's a matter of opinion though!), and the sound quality - to be technical about it, I'd aim for a bitrate of 96kbps or better, and no horrible live rips from someone with a microphone in the crowd, or crap quality songs uploaded to Youtube!
    - If it's not obvious, it might be worth writing a bit about what you've posted and why it's good, or at least what genre it is.

Some ideas for finding stuff:
    - mpiii.com and ump3.de are very good for finding downloadable DJ sets
    - mixriot.com, play.fm and soundcloud.com are good for finding streaming DJ sets (play.fm and soundcloud.com have really cool interfaces too, worth checking out)
    - fairtilizer.com, imeem.com and deezer.com can be quite good for finding legal streaming songs/albums
    - spotify.com is good for streaming, particularly more commercial/major label stuff.. to paste a link from Spotify, right click the song and choose "Copy HTTP Link", then paste it here

Hopefully we'll all get to hear some cool stuff Smile

Cheers

Last edited by tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 3:35 am; edited 1 time in total
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Things to listen to! (Recommendations of legal music to download/stream) Empty Re: Things to listen to! (Recommendations of legal music to download/stream)

Post  tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 3:32 am

And I'll kick things off with one of my favourite techno mixes of the last year: Marcel Dettmann's Bodytonic Podcast.

http://www.bodytonicmusic.com/audio/mixes/btp024_marceldettmann.mp3

Awesome Berghain-style techno (or so I imagine, not actually been yet...) with some real standout tracks and perfect flow from start to finish, highly recommended.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Things to listen to! (Recommendations of legal music to download/stream) Empty Re: Things to listen to! (Recommendations of legal music to download/stream)

Post  Sherrers on Fri May 01, 2009 3:58 am

Oh we LIKE Tom. He's a man who does stuff.
    Jonny Boy
    Jonny Boy
    vvwi

Number of posts : 753

Post  Jonny Boy on Fri May 01, 2009 4:02 am

that means you'll have to start talking about music sheridan cyclops
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers on Fri May 01, 2009 4:04 am

never!

I listen Wink

talking about music is like dancing about architecture
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Number of posts : 2685

Post  RvZ on Fri May 01, 2009 4:05 am

good man Tom. This is what I signed up for

(and going on and on about rubbish too!)
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Post  wookie on Fri May 01, 2009 4:08 am

the forums at

www.livesets.com
    www.undergroundhouse.net (more housey stuff from the states like mes/hodges/carter/sneak can be found here)

they need signing up too, but are free

and for radio broadcasts ie essential mixes and rob da bank and friends

http://www.qrip.org/
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers on Fri May 01, 2009 4:34 am

nice Wookie.
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Number of posts : 575

Post  jim_kezzle on Fri May 01, 2009 4:36 am

I'm a bit of a fan of James Holden's work. Both his productions on border community, his own work as well as edit's of other peoples, and his DJ sets.

I recommend people to get his At the controls double cd, its an amazing journey stretching through several genres.

Also love this mix from I love Techno 2006
    http://www.rapidsharedata.com/go/4234955/james_holden_live-at-i_love_techno_belgium_21.10.2006.mp3.html

Myself and Tom once listened to it at my flat whilst being a bit ketty and it absolutely blew our minds and pieced them back together again with his melodic tech/trance wizardry.
    Bishop
    Bishop
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4488

Post  Bishop on Fri May 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Nice one Jim. Never heard at the controls but i have heard everyone say its superb.

wookie - undergroundhouse.net used to have some superb mixes on. Jason Hodges and Slater Hogan were big favourites of mine. Saw them play at rude not 2 and they were brilliant.
    Bishop
    Bishop
    vvwi

Post  Bishop on Fri May 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Tom great post by the way. Just what the doctor ordered as my music collection needs abit of a boost to be fair.
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Post  tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Al - Glad you like! there's loads of good stuff I want to post up but I reckon it's all about pacing yourself!

wookie - nice one! I've seen livesets before (and promptly forgot about it, oops) but not the other two, so I'll be sure to check them out.

Jim - spot on, I was listening to the Klubbers.fm one last night while cooking my dinner!

Bishop - cheers! "At The Controls" is a really awesome album, proper journey and the way he mixes between genres is really something. Highly recommend getting hold of it. "Balance 005" is also amazing, but sticks more to 4/4 stuff.

Sherrers: talking about music is like dancing about architecture
    - I don't really agree, but brilliant quote! I have a bit of that obsessive thing when it comes to music... I'm sure if it wasn't music it'd be something else and I'd be over on VeryVeryStampCollectingIndeed forums or something Wink
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Post  wookie on Fri May 01, 2009 7:23 pm

Bishop wrote:Nice one Jim. Never heard at the controls but i have heard everyone say its superb.

wookie - undergroundhouse.net used to have some superb mixes on. Jason Hodges and Slater Hogan were big favourites of mine. Saw them play at rude not 2 and they were brilliant.

i dont think we see enough american/housey dj's over here

would love to see

mes, hodges, mastiksoul,santiago and bushido,johnny fiasco, i think a robsoul night somewhere would be excellent
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Number of posts : 752

Post  Ben on Fri May 01, 2009 7:40 pm

Tom, this is exactly what we needed. Cheers mate, you have made my friday!!

Anyways to get back on topic, I am a fan off KeToLoCo so here are a few of mix's which I think are quality.

Danny Raper

http://www.ketoloco.com/mixes/dannyraper-topicalstorms.mp3

'Topical Storms' (78 minutes)

1/ Culture Beat - Der Erdbeermund (1989)
    2/ Assassin - Voodoo Doll (Balearic Mix)
    3/ Roberto Procaccini - Minimarket
    4/ Ondbraio - Piano Terra
    5/ Homm & Popoviciu - Lagoon
    6/ San Marco - Black Sheep (Funkwertstratt Remix)
    7/ Roberto Procaccini - Minimood
    8/ Joseph Cappriati - Farlocco
    9/ Phunklarique - Reflections in Plexiglass
    10/ Xhin - Grey Material
    11/ Elan - Noose
    12/ Format B - 2 Quite
    13/ Lucia Aquilina - Magic M
    14/ Roberto Procaccini - This Morning
    15/ Rhythm Control - My House (Accapella)

# Chris Halliday & Danny Raper b2b #
    Live @ Ketoloco 1st Birthday, BacktoBasics - Leeds 20/10/07
    http://www.ketoloco.com/mixes/chrisdanny1stbday.mp3

# Chris, Danny & Eddy b2b2b #
    Live @ Eden - Ibiza 28/06/08
    http://www.ketoloco.com/mixes/chrisdannyeden.mp3

The last one is shit hot!! Enjoy. cheers bounce cheers
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Post  tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 7:43 pm

Ben Scottish wrote:Tom, this is exactly what we needed. Cheers mate, you have made my friday!!

Glad you like Smile

Ben Scottish wrote:9/ Phunklarique - Reflections in Plexiglass

Excellent tune

Ben Scottish wrote:13/ Lucia Aquilina - Magic M

One of my favourite minimal tunes ever! So good. Will get these downloaded and have a listen, cheers Ben!
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben on Fri May 01, 2009 7:46 pm

And here's another one that you might all ready have but starts off with a bang:

Justin Long @ Beatport tent, Movement 2008
    http://dotbleep.podOmatic.com

cheers bounce cheers
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben on Fri May 01, 2009 7:49 pm

tdmusic wrote:One of my favourite minimal tunes ever! So good. Will get these downloaded and have a listen, cheers Ben!

Not a problem at all mate. Am really glad we have got this thread going. Spend a lot of time traveling so Ipod gets thrashed. Its always nice to hadd new mix's to the collection. Very Happy
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Number of posts : 575

Post  jim_kezzle on Fri May 01, 2009 7:59 pm

Ben Scottish wrote:Tom, this is exactly what we needed. Cheers mate, you have made my friday!!

Anyways to get back on topic, I am a fan off KeToLoCo so here are a few of mix's which I think are quality.

Danny Raper

http://www.ketoloco.com/mixes/dannyraper-topicalstorms.mp3

'Topical Storms' (78 minutes)

1/ Culture Beat - Der Erdbeermund (1989)
    2/ Assassin - Voodoo Doll (Balearic Mix)
    3/ Roberto Procaccini - Minimarket
    4/ Ondbraio - Piano Terra
    5/ Homm & Popoviciu - Lagoon
    6/ San Marco - Black Sheep (Funkwertstratt Remix)
    7/ Roberto Procaccini - Minimood
    8/ Joseph Cappriati - Farlocco
    9/ Phunklarique - Reflections in Plexiglass
    10/ Xhin - Grey Material
    11/ Elan - Noose
    12/ Format B - 2 Quite
    13/ Lucia Aquilina - Magic M
    14/ Roberto Procaccini - This Morning
    15/ Rhythm Control - My House (Accapella)

# Chris Halliday & Danny Raper b2b #
    Live @ Ketoloco 1st Birthday, BacktoBasics - Leeds 20/10/07
    http://www.ketoloco.com/mixes/chrisdanny1stbday.mp3

# Chris, Danny & Eddy b2b2b #
    Live @ Eden - Ibiza 28/06/08
    http://www.ketoloco.com/mixes/chrisdannyeden.mp3

The last one is shit hot!! Enjoy. cheers bounce cheers

you going to Ketaloco tonight Ben?
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben on Fri May 01, 2009 8:00 pm

Everyone likes a good essential mix so heres a few to poke your ears:

Jesse Rose - Essential Mix 03/01/2009
    rapidshare.com Essential_Mix_-_2009-01-03_-_Jesse_Rose-UMP3.mp3

Have not listened to this mix yet. Just found it a min ago.

Carl Cox - Essential Mix 27/05/2007
    www.verybestdjsets.net.rar" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://rapidshare.com/files/79287317/carl_cox_-_essential_mix-sat-05-27-2007_part1--www.verybestdjsets.net.rar
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben on Fri May 01, 2009 8:03 pm

jim_kezzle wrote:you going to Ketaloco tonight Ben?

Afraid not Jim. Pritty gutted like. Would have liked to see Hobo. Have heard some good reports since he was signed my Minus. Are you off??

I am sadly off down to Kent for the long weekend. Would imagine that it will be quite quite. Plus I am gutted to be missing Magda. She's spot on like.
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben on Fri May 01, 2009 8:08 pm

What do people think of Mathew Dear. I have just found an Essential mix of his should I sling it into mix?? Question
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Post  tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Ben Scottish wrote:What do people think of Mathew Dear. I have just found an Essential mix of his should I sling it into mix?? Question

Never really listened to any Matthew Dear mixes. A lot of his productions are really awesome though. Favourites are Audion - "Kisses" (wow!) and "Mouth to Mouth" (overplayed but still awesome), and his mixes of Hot Chip ("No Fit State") and Jesse Rose ("Didn't I").

Put it up and I'll give it a listen!
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Post  wookie on Fri May 01, 2009 8:27 pm

the essential mix is pretty good

i also love dj sneak remix of dog days, its ace

and the hot chip remix of don and sherri
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Post  tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Here's an absolutely awesome Richie Hawtin mix from John Peel's show in 2004. Can't remember if I've already sent you this one Jim, if not it's a wee rasper! Only an hour long.

Stream: https://www.mixriot.com/content/richie-hawtin-jp-2004-03-10
    Download: http://www.mpiii.com/dl_view-17175.html (requires registration, but so very worth it!)

It's just awesome... sounds like it was in between his "proper" techno and minimal (m_nus style) techno phases (which, looking back on it, was probably his strongest period), so has a bit of both, but none of the bleepy stuff that later came to define his sound. It's from the days when he used Final Scratch together with his Ctrl:92 mixer and a Cycloops, so the mixing is quite raw sounding compared to his Traktor stuff - and I'd say better for it (and that's coming from a huge Traktor fan). Lots of that fun looping-delay-pitched-up-and-down effect too Wink And Audion's Kisses comes in at about 30 minutes, and is just amazing.

Suffice to say, it's a good set Wink
    Bishop
    Bishop
    vvwi

Post  Bishop on Fri May 01, 2009 8:56 pm

Brilliant lads. Keep em coming.

Im afarid all my mixes were lsot when my computer blew up last year, so you are making me very happy today. Very Happy
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben on Fri May 01, 2009 9:04 pm

I have got another one here which is really good. Am sure there will be some enjoyment from this.

Djulz - Womb Tokyo 11/01/09
    http://uploaded.to/?id=ah673i

Matthew Dear – Essential Mix 15/03/08
    rapidshare.com Essential_20Mix_20-_202008-03-15_20-_20Matthew_20Dear_Part002.mp3
    Ben
    Ben
    vvwi

Post  Ben on Fri May 01, 2009 9:06 pm

Ben Scottish wrote:Carl Cox - Essential Mix 27/05/2007
    www.verybestdjsets.net.rar" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://rapidshare.com/files/79287317/carl_cox_-_essential_mix-sat-05-27-2007_part1--www.verybestdjsets.net.rar

I have just tried to download this and it did not seem to work. Sorry if I have sent you a dodgy link. If you can get it to work please let me know.
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Post  tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 9:10 pm

Ben Scottish wrote:
    Ben Scottish wrote:Carl Cox - Essential Mix 27/05/2007

I have just tried to download this and it did not seem to work. Sorry if I have sent you a dodgy link. If you can get it to work please let me know.

Loads of links to it here: http://alldj.org/index.php?name=News&op=Article&sid=3100

Not had time to try but I imagine at least one of them works Smile Rapidshare is a right pain in the arse, that's why I prefer direct downloads.
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Post  tdmusic on Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 pm

As I keep banging on about it, here's a link to listen to Audion - Kisses (it's just streaming so you can't download it, sorry!)

http://www.imeem.com/jukeboxmusic20/music/fE_AhoBH/audion-kisses/

It's most definitely my favourite tune of today... I might actually hit my head on the ceiling from bouncing around if someone played it out. bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy on Fri May 01, 2009 9:26 pm

Nice one Jim. Never heard at the controls but i have heard everyone say its superb.

It's amazing. Even if you're not fucked it makes you feel like a gibbering wreck.

There is about to be a new Abe Duque mix up at http://www.the-x-agency.com/preview/x-podcasts.xml. I'm behind in uploading several new mixes, but it should be today or tuesday.

(Those podcasts via itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=272703224)

And for the Abe Duque fans who are also producers, we're about to announce a competition with DJ mag and Groove Germany (and I hope XLR8R in the US) for three people to win a day in the studio with Abe. You need to get on the list at abeduque.net to be in the draw. I'd get in early, this is going to be very big.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:56 pm