VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+11
shAdy
Seeley
RvZ
PW
scarlet pimpernel
bigdaddy
Bishop
Ye Olde Rog
T.B
Fandango Widewheels
Sherrers
15 posters

Things that didn't exist when you were a kid

Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Things that didn't exist when you were a kid Empty Things that didn't exist when you were a kid

Post  Sherrers Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:11 am

10. calculators

9. peados

8. colour televsion

7. any television

6. digital watches (or indeed digital anything in the home)

5. tea bags

4. cars (there was only one car in our area in 1975)

3. 'abuse' (you could get a clip round the ear from anyone and no one batted an eye)

2. fashion

1. "new" labour
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Number of posts : 6539

Things that didn't exist when you were a kid Empty Re: Things that didn't exist when you were a kid

Post  Fandango Widewheels Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:15 am

1.) Knife and gun crime. I'm sure it went on but you didn't hear about it.

2.) ADHD and other such ailments. They were just naughty kids.

3.) Allergies. Only one kid in my class at school had an allergy and he was proper poorly. Tablets, injections the lot. Now every other little darling has an allergy to one thing or another.

4.) Bare face cheek to 'elders'. If a man came out of a house to give you a doing you ran like fuck. You didn't stand there and offer him out.
    T.B
    T.B

Number of posts : 3939

Things that didn't exist when you were a kid Empty Re: Things that didn't exist when you were a kid

Post  T.B Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:17 am

good thread
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Number of posts : 1633

Post  Ye Olde Rog Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:19 am

5. the wheel

4. opposable thumbs

3. fire

2. gravity

1. legs
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:20 am

Token Bird wrote:good thread

That's some contribution sheriff. Keep up the good work Wink
    Bishop
    Bishop
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4488

Post  Bishop Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:49 am

Chavs - little pikey fuckers, hurling abuse at everything and everyone. No respect for themselves let alone anyone else. Horrible little urchins.
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:11 am

1. Rog.

Ok, I'm lying.

1. The internet.
    2. Australia as an overtly racist country. It could be reactionary and very white and net-curtain twitching, but it took our c*****g f******d previous Prime Minster, that f****y sh**b*g ************, to destroy the place as a progressive paradise. What a *******. And an ******* too.
    3. My two youngest brothers.
    4. Effective cancer treatments.
    5. Colour TV came in when I was about six.
    6. As did C3PO, though he probably came out rather than in.
    7. More than four TV channels. My mate remembers asking why his TV had 8 channel buttons when there were only 4 channels.
    8. Talking back to your mum.
    9. The amiga! We had C64s when I was a kid tho.
    10. Practically anything involving consumer convenience - you wanted to see a doctor, accountant, anyone, you waited on their pleasure...
    scarlet pimpernel
    scarlet pimpernel
    vvw

Number of posts : 649

Post  scarlet pimpernel Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:03 am

it is a good thread like

not sure abnout the modern fear of kids we was fucking nasty little shits Wink
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:11 am

MarkD77 wrote:
    Token Bird wrote:good thread

That's some contribution sheriff. Keep up the good work Wink

i needed some time to think

stuff that wasn't around?

dating. it seems really modern and american to me.

dog shit was white when I was young, what happened to that then?

street fear

nightclubs

women's mags (can live without them and no mistake)

house music

indifference in shops. like Big Daddy's thing about Doctors etc when I was young people paid attention to you in shops.

MRSI disease and rubbish hospitals

chairs and tables out on streets
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:21 am

I have to agree that when I was young there was plenty of urchin action.

I grew up in Meanwood in the 70's, there was huge gangs of feral kids and shouty rudeness. Me and our kid saw a kid battered to death with a tennis racquet Shocked

depends where you were dragged up I 'spose

I recollect when they found the Rosetta Stone, which was a tablet (actually it was accounts for a merchant) that contained so many ancient languages it meant they could compare them and unlock some older languages that were previously locked... anyway.. they got really excited and translated some Sumerian script (which is like older than Egyptian) and roughly translated into modern language it bemoaned the loss of a previous golden era when everyone was more polite and spoke of "unruly youths". Basically it said "kids nowadays! huh!" Wink

but 6000 years ago

also some text they were convinced was dead important was graffiti. Like "Moses likes Donkey's Dicks" and "The High Priest of Babylon is a twat".

My Dad always says people have always have been and always will be the same basic model. He's not wrong.
    PW
    PW
    wrong un

Number of posts : 65

Post  PW Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:42 am

Ready Meals

game consoles(We always had to play subbuteo until our dad banned me&bro for to much crowd violence)

Bottled water

cookery programmes(Rusty Lee was ace though)

HMMmmm,il have a think of some more.
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Number of posts : 2685

Post  RvZ Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:34 am

all good ones PM

Walkman

CDs

BMX and Skateboards

halogen lamps

mobile phones

computers

christ how did we manage!?
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Post  Ye Olde Rog Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:44 am

if I did a serious attempt at this you wouldn't believe me (but here are a few)

Paper in schools (we used little blackboards and abacus)
    Cars (no one had a car except the police)
    Decimalised currency
    Air travel (in fact "abroad" wasn't invented)
    Olive Oil
    Rice
    Any toys (you really did make your own)
    Electric kitchen appliances (not even an electric kettle)
    Clothes shops (women made their own, gents went to a tailor)
    Toiletries
    "bars" (pubs only)
    anything at all for anyone under 21
    Seeley
    Seeley
    w

Number of posts : 116

Post  Seeley Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:28 pm

what wasn't around when i was a kid......

1.hair under my armpits, or, well you know.....
    2.microwave meals
    3.paedophiles, although my coach driver did used to like clamping his hand around my knee and squeezing it until i giggled. I was so innocent at 6 years old, looking back he was copping a feel the dirty c--t.
    4.sex(only in dads wardrobe did such become reality, with my hand)
    5.mp3, digital etc.....I had a sony walkman!!
    6.crap lager (all this widget and export crap)
    7.crap summers(weather wise)
    8.skinny jeans
    9.emos
    10.self harming (just kill yourself you attention seeking weirdo, or see a doctor.)
    shAdy
    shAdy
    vvw

Number of posts : 521

Post  shAdy Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:10 pm

1. T'interweb. When I was at uni we only had books and microfilm. How on earth did we learn anything or network socially?
    2. Retail parks/superstores. There was a supermarket in town - you bought stuff there. It was just buying shit and nobody tried to dress it up as a retail experience.
    3. Lap-dancing clubs in the UK. Shocked Didn't see that coming!
    4. Identipubs (pub chains). Who'd have thought you could travel 200 miles accross the country to find yourself in an exact replica of the boozer down the road.
    5. Reality TV. (I'm not even starting on this one)

I think there may well be many more to come....

6. Text messages. People couldn't accidentally send messages concerning last night's/tonight's activities to Mum rather than Mandy.
    7. Predictive text/spellcheckers. People just used to learn how to read and write at school and then used it in later life to communicate with people. Radical!
    8. Oilseed rape. There just weren't fields and fields of ridiculously bright yellow when I was a kid. There just weren't!
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:39 am

Nice one fellas BUT I have to say again I think it's geographical. Massive fields of Rape were a big thing for us playing "spot the massively obvious thing" on train journeys. We went to Bournemouth every year and as soon as you went south of the midlands you started to see the big yellow fields which to be fair, for a northerner, were quite a sight Wink

We defo saw them 'cos 'rape' was defo a RUDE word and it stays in the memory because the verbal ballet dance my Mum and Dad did trying to explain to us what it was without saying it was memorable.

Actually more precisely we went yearly to Sandbanks. So another thing we didn't have as kids were billionaires taking over areas and wankers like Piers Moron Wink

Footballers were amateurs and didn't even get paid!
    shAdy
    shAdy
    vvw

Post  shAdy Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:57 am

Sherrers wrote:I think it's geographical.

I think you're definitely right. I reckon it hit Yorkshire in the late 80s.
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Number of posts : 2685

Post  RvZ Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:03 am

yeah we were surrounded by yellow in the late 70's down these parts.

It's made me go all misty remembering the golden era of footy with no big money and people from the actual town still involved in the team.
    Ye Olde Rog
    Ye Olde Rog
    vvwi

Post  Ye Olde Rog Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:10 am

it actually didn't really enter common agricultural use in the UK til around the 70's funnily enough. It's a crop that is particularly good for rotation, you tend to use it to enrich the soil every few years. So it appeared in the 70's not so much to be used but as a technique to improve the chemical composition. We sell it in huge amounts now, mainly to ze germans for bio fuel.

signed

Greenfinger
    shAdy
    shAdy
    vvw

Post  shAdy Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:23 am

Ye Olde Rog wrote:it actually didn't really enter common agricultural use in the UK til around the 70's funnily enough. It's a crop that is particularly good for rotation, you tend to use it to enrich the soil every few years.

CAP also played a part in its successful rise.

I actually knew this from my initial post research but wasn't going to go into this much detail. God I'm sad. study

Learn more here...

Maybe we should start a 'British farming' thread....?
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:26 am

blimey! Sandbanks. There's a blast from the past for me. Brownsea island!

I dunno tim it was pretty posh when we were kids.
    Jonny Boy
    Jonny Boy
    vvwi

Number of posts : 753

Post  Jonny Boy Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:38 am

you Jurassic bastards Wink
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:47 am

Jonny Boy wrote:you Jurassic bastards Wink

you know it.

TB you may be right. Sanddbanks was like our yearly family holiday and we graduated to there from like Blackpool and Scarborough. In the early years my Dad was basically a student so we had no car and got the bus to northern resorts. later we'd get the train. Then the epic drive to Bournemouth/Sandbanks in later years. (christ to think I don't even think twice about driving twice as far now every week!)

to be fair though there are degrees of posh. it was 'nice' but there were no millionaires. defo 'middle class' I would say. We were usually the only kids with regional accents staying on Sandbanks but on the beach there was a good mix.

The story goes in our family that when my Dad was starting out in medicine he happened to save the life of one of the German Ambassador's family, so after that every year we got to use, for one week, the official holiday residence of the German Embassy. On Sandbanks. Big German flag on a pole and everything (no Polish gags please Rog).

Rubbish story but there you go Wink

Brownsea Island! home of Lord Baden Powell and the scouts! Corfe Castle! Poole and it's famous Pottery! Miniature Villages! Crazy Golf! Crab fishing!

*goes all nostalgic*
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:58 am

the word "season". it's a series. It always was a series.

saying "whatever". If someone looked at you and said that you'd have got a punch in the face

shit phobia. someone had a go a me for my dog shitting in a field. A FIELD! what do you think that big tractor over there is spreading? nitwits.

the word "movie". It's a film. Or Fillum as my Gran used to say.

Germs.

Anything being open on a Sunday. Or after 5pm any other day. (Half Day Wednesday Wink )
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 am

Americanisms bring out your inner Clarkson don't they Tim?
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Post  wookie Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:12 pm

round the clock news

it was on at set times, and when there was a news flash it meant something important

i can still remember watching the berlin wall come down on bbc news
    Fandango Widewheels
    Fandango Widewheels

Post  Fandango Widewheels Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 pm

All day BBC2. Used to go off in the afternoon and this cheekly little minx would appear

Things that didn't exist when you were a kid Bbc-220colour20test20card2027f2720v
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Number of posts : 575

Post  jim_kezzle Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:50 am

MarkD77 wrote:All day BBC2. Used to go off in the afternoon and this cheekly little minx would appear

Things that didn't exist when you were a kid Bbc-220colour20test20card2027f2720v

an intersting fact about that test card picture, well some of you may find it intersting.
    the x on the noughts and crosses board should line up exact centre on your television, it marks the centre to help people align the position of the screen if necessary.
    Sleep think I bored myself there....
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Number of posts : 575

Post  jim_kezzle Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:56 am

In fact that is a picture of test card F
    the alignment feature using the x on the noughts and crosses board didnt come in until test card J

Things that didn't exist when you were a kid Testcard_J
    Bishop
    Bishop
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4488

Post  Bishop Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:58 am

Jesus Jim, thats some serious geekness that my friend. study

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:07 am