VVWI

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
VVWI

veryverywrongindeed recordings

+29
benwaa
hyperion
rolphus
Studio
mr.a
Welsh
crang
Son of Nod
Juanito
mundros
Rrriot Guurl
Broadhead
Jnr DJ
shAdy
Bishop
Ye Olde Rog
Joe
tdmusic
scarlet pimpernel
jim_kezzle
Jonny Boy
bigdaddy
Ben
Fandango Widewheels
RvZ
Sherrers
T.B
wookie
Seeley
33 posters

FILM REVIEWS WITH DAVE CLARKE

Jonny Boy
    Jonny Boy
    vvwi

Number of posts : 753

FILM REVIEWS WITH DAVE CLARKE - Page 2 Empty Re: FILM REVIEWS WITH DAVE CLARKE

Post  Jonny Boy Fri May 01, 2009 9:06 am

did you really love Wolverine tim? it was pants!
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Number of posts : 2685

Post  RvZ Fri May 01, 2009 9:20 am

how does timbo get to see films before we do in big shiny special London?
    Jonny Boy
    Jonny Boy
    vvwi

Post  Jonny Boy Fri May 01, 2009 11:36 pm

yeah! what he said
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Number of posts : 9331

Post  Sherrers Sat May 02, 2009 9:15 am

Jonny Boy wrote:did you really love Wolverine tim? it was pants!

well.... Embarassed

they spared every expense on the effects, there were pointless characters (most of them) and it was over done plus they completely left out all the Japanese stuff about his past that was the best bits...

but

I was just happy to see a film about the character and while a lot of my info is out of date to me the story of the origin was fairly new so I was happy.
    It's not like the cleverer end of comics getting butchered. The Marvel stuff is pretty daft to start with so I don't get all upset.
    I'm a very sad lonely man.

(I get to see films 1st cos my mate manages a multiplex. We watch the test session of new prints at stupid o clock on mon/tues mornings the week before release. plus I am special.)
    T.B
    T.B

Number of posts : 3939

Post  T.B Sat May 02, 2009 11:03 pm

you are such a contrary mary sheridan.
    Jonny Boy
    Jonny Boy
    vvwi

Post  Jonny Boy Sat May 02, 2009 11:42 pm

Token Bird wrote:you are such a contrary mary sheridan.

Very Happy

isn't he just?

Wink
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue May 05, 2009 10:49 pm

new Star Trek film is defo worth a gander
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Post  RvZ Tue May 05, 2009 10:56 pm

show off!
    scarlet pimpernel
    scarlet pimpernel
    vvw

Number of posts : 649

Post  scarlet pimpernel Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 am

Sherrers wrote:new Star Trek film is defo worth a gander

why?
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Wed May 06, 2009 1:28 am

not that i need proof but give us a little spoiler if you've seen it sheridan Wink
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Wed May 06, 2009 1:39 am

Uhuru and Spock are getting it on. True.

Why see it SP?

It's just really good. The best CGI I've seen for a long time. They have added solarisation and filters to make the CGI look like 35mil. The casting is excellent and it rollocks along nicely.

On the downside like all the Star Trek movies they flail around a bit with the bad guy (eric bana) not being strong enough and the basic premise of the story could be stronger but it is well compensated by the cast bringing something new to the old roles and it is paced well so they gather a chemistry as the film unfolds.

The make up is Oscar winning. Seriously the best make up I have seen. Even the false ears are translucent and 100% realistic Wink

The lad playing Kirk isn't great but you warm to him in the end. The young lad playing Chekov is outstanding and the bloke from 'Heroes' (Sylar) doing Spock is great. Not sure about Simon Pegg as Scotty but again... by the end of it you are immersed in believing all of them IMO.

I've changed my mind about Wolverine. Rubbish Wink
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Wed May 06, 2009 11:54 pm

I'll go it see it now. I love a bit of inter species romance.
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Number of posts : 575

Post  jim_kezzle Fri May 08, 2009 1:50 am

Has anyone seen Requiem for a Dream?
    I stupidly watched this during a come down, was well bored and couldnt sleep, it was the only dvd in the house I'd not watched yet.
    By fuck it was pretty grim.
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Number of posts : 63

Post  tdmusic Fri May 08, 2009 1:56 am

jim_kezzle wrote:Has anyone seen Requiem for a Dream?
    I stupidly watched this during a come down, was well bored and couldnt sleep, it was the only dvd in the house I'd not watched yet.

I did warn you!
    jim_kezzle
    jim_kezzle

Number of posts : 575

Post  jim_kezzle Fri May 08, 2009 2:02 am

tdmusic wrote:
    jim_kezzle wrote:Has anyone seen Requiem for a Dream?

I did warn you!

you're right you did, however I thought I new better... Crying or Very sad
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri May 08, 2009 9:55 am

The same author (hubert selby) wrote 'last exit to brooklyn' which is equally grim. As a novelist it is safe to say his film adaptations were never likely to be musicals.

Darren Arnofski's (the director of requiem ect) first film "Pi" (it's just the maths symbol tho I can't work out how to do it on my keyboard) is a blinder. HIGHLY recommended by Imaginary Barry.

it gets 5 out of 5 "...and why not!" 's
    FILM REVIEWS WITH DAVE CLARKE - Page 2 42094611

..while Arnofski's latest film 'The Fountain' is proper David Lynch odd.... but with added hollywood.

it gets a

mmmmmm

from imaginary dave
    FILM REVIEWS WITH DAVE CLARKE - Page 2 David-10
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Post  tdmusic Fri May 08, 2009 6:51 pm

Sherrers wrote:The same author (hubert selby) wrote 'last exit to brooklyn' which is equally grim. As a novelist it is safe to say his film adaptations were never likely to be musicals.

I've got that at home somewhere, started reading it a few years ago but found it too uncomfortable. Might try again one day. I did really enjoy (enjoy? probably not the right word, but...) the novel of Requiem. Really unique style. Must re-read it sometime.

Sherrers wrote:Darren Arnofski's (the director of requiem ect) first film "Pi" (it's just the maths symbol tho I can't work out how to do it on my keyboard) is a blinder. HIGHLY recommended by Imaginary Barry.

Yep, great film. Really cool story line.

Requiem is probably my favourite, but I love both of them, particularly because of the amazing visual style (and great soundtracks). I love his edits and use of effects and the way he frames shots... doesn't seem dated at all despite the films being nearly 10 years old. The migrane scenes from Pi are a particularly good example of the edits/effects, and in Requiem, the split screen bits (e.g. where Harry and Marion are lying naked together), and obviously the drug taking montages.

Sherrers wrote:..while Arnofski's latest film 'The Fountain' is proper David Lynch odd.... but with added hollywood.

Not seen this... didn't really sound that interesting to me from the trailer/synopsis. Worth seeing or not?

Enjoying your taste, Sherrers Smile
    Joe
    Joe
    wrong un

Number of posts : 55

Post  Joe Fri May 08, 2009 7:19 pm

Has In Bruges been mentioned yet? Watched this last night, very good indeed. Better than expected. Its a twisting tale of two hapless hitmen holed up in Bruges awaiting orders from their gaffer. The whole things littered with black humour. Colin Farell and Ralph Fiennes especially are very good in it. Recommended.
    tdmusic
    tdmusic
    wrong un

Post  tdmusic Fri May 08, 2009 8:01 pm

Joe wrote:Has In Bruges been mentioned yet? Watched this last night, very good indeed. Better than expected. Its a twisting tale of two hapless hitmen holed up in Bruges awaiting orders from their gaffer. The whole things littered with black humour. Colin Farell and Ralph Fiennes especially are very good in it. Recommended.

Must watch that, heard good things.

On the film topic, does anyone know if there's a service yet where you can pay a reasonable amount to watch a film online? As in, pay about the same as a rental from LoveFilm, but watch it straight away? I'd find that useful, I reckon.
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy Fri May 08, 2009 8:45 pm

FILM REVIEWS WITH DAVE CLARKE - Page 2 David-10

David Lynch has the best hair in the business.

As films go, the most grim - the worst I've ever seen for making you unable to function - was Ladybird Ladybird. Ken Loach. Blowsy poor woman club singer leaves kids in flat to do gig; flat burns down, almost killing the five kids; social services tries to take kids away; then again; then again; I literally couldn't speak afterward, it is so grim. I have abandonment issues still.

Last Exit to Brooklyn, though, was way up there in the grim stakes. And it completely scuppered my life plan of marrying a handsome and well-built union organiser.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Fri May 08, 2009 9:32 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
    wookie
    wookie
    vvwi

Number of posts : 4123

Post  wookie Fri May 08, 2009 9:35 pm

Joe wrote:Has In Bruges been mentioned yet? Watched this last night, very good indeed. Better than expected. Its a twisting tale of two hapless hitmen holed up in Bruges awaiting orders from their gaffer. The whole things littered with black humour. Colin Farell and Ralph Fiennes especially are very good in it. Recommended.

that is a good film, the ending let its down a bit i think

didnt aronofsky direct the wrestler with mickey rouke as well?
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Fri May 08, 2009 9:38 pm

I think he did indeed!
    scarlet pimpernel
    scarlet pimpernel
    vvw

Number of posts : 649

Post  scarlet pimpernel Tue May 12, 2009 1:25 am

bigdaddy wrote: Ken Loach.

his new 1 is Eirc Cantona and a comedy tho!

Shocked
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue May 12, 2009 3:14 am

scarlet pimpernel wrote:
    bigdaddy wrote: Ken Loach.

his new 1 is Eirc Cantona and a comedy tho!

Shocked

true! A middle aged mancunian postman called Eric befriends Eric Cantona.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue May 12, 2009 3:16 am

tdmusic wrote:
    Sherrers wrote:..while Arnofski's latest film 'The Fountain' is proper David Lynch odd.... but with added hollywood.

Not seen this... didn't really sound that interesting to me from the trailer/synopsis. Worth seeing or not?

Enjoying your taste, Sherrers Smile

oh it's definitely worth seeing. I love a good heart rending head bender. At heart it's a lovely romance really. With added immortality and space/time travel.
    T.B
    T.B

Post  T.B Tue May 12, 2009 7:17 am

Sherrers wrote:new Star Trek film is defo worth a gander

FILM REVIEWS WITH DAVE CLARKE - Page 2 16045310
    bigdaddy
    bigdaddy

Number of posts : 1233

Post  bigdaddy Tue May 12, 2009 8:35 pm

Seeing the new Star Trek at the late session at the IMAX tomorrow night...

Saw Synecdoche New York last night, the new Charlie Kaufman (with him doing a Q&A after). Did not really like. You'd have to be a very rich and untroubled yuppie to be troubled by some of the pointless existential angst this lot worry about.
    RvZ
    RvZ
    vvvwi

Post  RvZ Tue May 12, 2009 10:24 pm

you called!?

Very Happy

I lOVED it. I sat there in my Richly Hawtin gear with a cappuccino loving every twisty turn.
    Sherrers
    Sherrers
    Admin

Post  Sherrers Tue May 12, 2009 10:41 pm

I just love the fact that Charlie Kaufman exists and makes films. For the same reason I revere Frank Zappa even though a lot of his stuff is a sonic headfuck. Because it's there Wink

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am